We’re always interested in hearing more from our travelers. And we love a good horror story! In honor of Halloween, we want you to tell us about the scariest trip experience you’ve ever had. Did you stay at a haunted hotel? Have a run-in with an over-sized rat? Get food poisoning after dinner at a hole-in-the-wall dive? Whatever the circumstances, we want you to share all of the gory details. Well, 140 characters of them, anyway. That’s right – pack as much of that terror as you can into one Tweet. TripAdvisor will rev up the fright-o-meter and select our top picks, then we’ll post them on our company blog and ask everyone to vote. Whichever Tweet receives the most votes will take the prize.
Come on….scare us – and your fellow travelers — silly!
Some of our most recent entries:
@GDARCYRYAN: Sunrise walking safari in Kenya when our Masai guide says “oh no! We need to go, NOW!” pride of lions not where they thought. #TripAdvisor
How to Enter
Create a Tweet packed with as many details of your scary vacation experience as you can muster. Your submission will be judged on the fright-factor, and your ability to creatively include as much descriptive information as possible. Grammar is not a consideration. And while we welcome guts and gore, please avoid the use of explicit profanity. Mark your Tweet with the hashtag #TripAdvisor. This is critical so that we can find and consider your entry.
All Tweets that are issued from Wednesday, October 7, 2009 at 12:00 p.m. EST through Wednesday, October 21, 2009 at 11:59 p.m. EST.
You must follow @TripAdvisor on Twitter to be eligible for selection as a finalist. You do not need to be a member of a TripAdvisor site.
Determination of Winner
On October 22, 2009, when the submission process has been closed, TripAdvisor will select 10 finalists based on the discretion of their travel editors. The selected Tweets, and the identity of each author, will be posted on TripAdvisor’s company blog by October 23, 2009.
TripAdvisor will invite the public to review the finalists on the blog page and vote for their top choice for the scariest trip ever. The Tweet that receives the greatest number of votes will be selected as the winner. TripAdvisor will contact the author of the winning Tweet through Twitter. It will be the winner’s responsibility to furnish TripAdvisor with contact information, including a mailing address, so that the prize can be delivered.
The contest winner will receive a TripAdvisor-branded gear, including an iPod and deluxe travel kit, and a $200 Visa Gift Card. Total value of approximately $500.
For the full version of the official rules, please read below.
OFFICIAL RULES FOR THE “SCARIEST TRIP EVER” CONTEST
NO PURCHASE REQUIRED TO ENTER OR WIN
1. ELIGIBILITY: The “Scariest Trip Ever”Contest (the “Contest”) is open only to legal residents of the fifty (50) United States (including the District of Columbia), France, Italy, Germany, and the United Kingdom who are at least eighteen (18) years of age or have reached the age of majority in their jurisdiction of residence, whichever is older. Employees of TripAdvisor and its related companies, as well as the immediate family (spouse, parents, siblings, and children) and household members of each such employee are not eligible. Participation constitutes your full and unconditional agreement to and acceptance of these Official Rules and the decisions of Sponsor, which are final and binding. Winning a prize is contingent upon fulfilling all requirements set forth herein.
2. SPONSOR: TripAdvisor LLC, 141 Needham Street, Newton, MA 02464.
3. ENTRY PERIOD: The Contest begins at 12:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time on October 7, 2009 and ends at 11:59 p.m. Eastern Standard Time on October 21, 2009. Entries that are submitted before or after the Entry Period will be disqualified
4. HOW TO ENTER: To enter, create a Tweet containing as many details of your scary trip experience as possible. Mark your Tweet with the hashtag #TripAdvisor. This is critical so that we can find and consider your entry. You must follow @tripadvisor on Twitter to be eligible for selection as a finalist. You do not need to be a member of a TripAdvisor site. Limit: five (5) entries per person.
5. ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS: Your entries must not: (a) violate any third party rights, including, but not limited to, copyrights and trademark rights; (b) contain defamatory statements; (c) include threats to any person, place, business, or group; (d) invade privacy rights or any other rights of any person, business, or group; (e) be obscene or indecent; (f) depict any risky behavior, as determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion; (g) depict or refer to any competitor of Sponsor; (h) contain any third party trademarks or logos; (i) contain any copyrighted elements other than elements owned by you; or (j) use any celebrities, celebrity look-a-likes, or celebrity sound-a-likes. Your entry must not have been entered in any other contest or exhibition and may not have been published or distributed in any other media. Sponsor reserves the right to refuse to accept or post any entry for any reason.
6. ENTRANT’S WARRANTIES AND REPRESENTATIONS: By submitting an entry, you warrant and represent that: (a) you own all rights to the entry and any content contained therein; (b) to the extent the entry depicts any individual or features the voice of any individual, you are the individual pictured and heard in the submission, or, alternatively, that you have obtained permission from each person appearing in the entry to submit the entry to Sponsor grant the rights to the Sponsor described in the “Sponsor’s Rights to Entries” section below, and can make written copies of such permissions available to Sponsor upon request; and (c) the entry complies with all requirements of these Official Rules.
7. SPONSOR’S RIGHTS TO ENTRIES: BY PARTICIPating, you: (a) irrevocably grant Sponsor, its agents, licensees, and assigns the unconditional and perpetual (non-exclusive) right and permission to copyright, reproduce, encode, store, copy, transmit, publish, post, broadcast, display, publicly perform, adapt, modify, create derivative works of, exhibit, and otherwise use your entry as-is or as-edited (with or without using your name) in any media throughout the world for any purpose, without limitation, and without additional review, compensation, or approval from you or any other party; (b) forever waive any rights of copyrights, trademark rights, privacy rights, and any other legal or moral righTS THAT MAY PRECLUDE SPONSOR’s use of your entry, or require any further permission for Sponsor to use the entry; and (c) agree not to instigate, support, maintain, or authorize any action, claim, or lawsuit against the Sponsor on the grounds that any use of the entry, or any derivative works, infringes any of your rights as creator of the entry, including, without limitation, copyrights, trademark rights, and moral rights.
8. JUDGING AND VOTING: Entries will be reviewed by an internal panel assembled by Sponsor. The panel will identify 10 semi-finalists from those entries based on the following Judging Criteria: scare factor (50%) and creativity with use of the 140-character Twitter format (50%) In the event of a tie, the entry with the higher score for originality will be selected. The semi-finalists will be identified on or about October 22, 2009, after which members of the public will be invited to vote for their favorite entry, using the criteria above. Public voting will end at 11:59 p.m. Eastern Standard Time on October 29, 2009. There is a limit of one (1) vote per person.
9. PRIZES: The entrant whose entry received the most votes from members of the public will be awarded a grand prize of TripAdvisor-branded gifts, including an iPod and deluxe travel kit, and a Visa gift card valued at $200. If there is a tie, the winner will be selected by Sponsor, according to the criteria set forth above. Entrants are responsible for taxes and any other costs not specified above. Winner will be required to provide a Social Security number for tax reporting purposes.
10. REQUIREMENTS OF WINNER: Except where prohibited, winner will be required to sign and return an affidavit of eligibility, a liability/publicity release. In addition, each finalist must sign a release in which the finalist irrevocably assigns and transfers to Sponsor any and all rights, title and interest in his/her entry, including, without limitation, all copyrights and trademark rights, and waives all moral rights in the entry. Documents must be signed, notarized, and returned to the Sponsor within ten (10) days of being notified. If a semi-finalist fails to sign and return the required documents within the required time period or is otherwise ineligible to receive the prize, he/she will forfeit the prize.
11. GENERAL CONDITIONS: In the event that the operation, security, or administration of the Contest is impaired in any way for any reason, including, but not limited to, technical errors, tampering with the voting process, or fraud, Sponsor may, in its sole discretion, either (a) suspend the Contest to address the impairment and then resume the Contest in a manner that best conforms to the spirit of these Official Rules or (b) award the prizes according to the Judging Criteria (without reference to the public votes) from among the eligible entries received up to the time of the impairment. Sponsor reserves the right in its sole discretion to disqualify any individual it finds to be tampering with the Contest or to be acting in violation of these Official Rules. Any attempt by any person to undermine the legitimate operation of the Contest may be a violation of criminal and civil law, and, should such an attempt be made, Sponsor reserves the right to seek damages from any such person to the fullest extent permitted by law. Failure by Sponsor to enforce any provision of these Official Rules shall not constitute a waiver of that provision. The Contest is subject to federal, state, and local laws and regulations and is void where prohibited. In the event of a dispute as to the owner of an entry, the authorized account holder of the e-mail address used to enter will be deemed to be the entrant. The “authorized account holder” is the natural person who is assigned to an e-mail address by an Internet access provider, online service provider, or other organization responsible for assigning e-mail addresses for the domain associated with the submitted e-mail address. If any provision of these Official Rules is held to be invalid or unenforceable, such provision shall be struck, and the remaining provisions shall be enforced.
12. RELEASE AND LIMITATIONS OF LIABILITY: By participating in the Contest, entrants agree to release and hold harmless Sponsor, its respective officers, directors, employees, and agents (the “Released Parties”) from and against any claim or cause of action arising out of participation in the Contest or receipt or use of any prize, including, but not limited to: (a) claims that the entry violates any third party’s copyrights, trademark rights, publicity rights, or moral rights; (b) any technical errors that may prevent an entrant from submitting an entry; (c) unauthorized human intervention in the Contest; (d) printing errors; (e) lost, late, postage-due, misdirected, or undeliverable mail; (f) errors in the administration of the Contest or the processing of entries; or (g) injury, death, or damage to persons or property which may be caused, directly or indirectly, in whole or in part, from entrant’s participation in the Contest or receipt of any prize. Entrant further agrees that in any cause of action, the Released Parties’ liability will be limited to the cost of entering and participating in the Contest, and in no event shall the Released Parties be liable for attorney’s fees. Entrant waives the right to claim any damages whatsoever, including, but not limited to, punitive, consequential, direct, or indirect damages.
13. DISPUTES: Except where prohibited, entrant agrees that any and all disputes, claims and causes of action arising out of, or connected with, the Contest or any prize awarded shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, and exclusively by the appropriate court located in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Official Rules, entrant’s rights and obligations, or the rights and obligations of Sponsor in connection with the Contest, shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with, the laws of Massachusetts, without giving effect to any choice of law or conflict of law rules (whether of Massachusetts or any other jurisdiction), which would cause the application of the laws of any jurisdiction other than Massachusetts.
14. CONTEST RESULTS: Results will be posted on the official TripAdvisor blog.