Even the First Family needs a long weekend getaway once in awhile! Last weekend, the Obama family, with dog Bo in tow, touched down in Maine where they enjoyed three days of hiking, biking and sightseeing in both Bar Harbor and Acadia National Park.
Following the Obama family’s highly publicized trip to Martha’s Vineyard last year, we were curious to learn whether TripAdvisor travelers would also be interested in visiting Bar Harbor, Maine over the weekend to catch a glimpse of the Obamas. In a poll of more than 3,300 U.S. respondents conducted on TripAdvisor.com, 92 percent said they would not be interested in traveling to Maine to see the First Family.
While travelers may not be interested in traveling to sneak a peek of the Obamas, there’s no question that Acadia National Park makes for a fantastic getaway for outdoorsy travelers. Earlier this year it was given a Travelers’ Choice Award for the second best Outdoor & Adventure Destination in the United States by TripAdvisor travelers.
Inspired by the Obamas during their recent trip, here are five ways to enjoy Bar Harbor and Acadia National Park like the First Family:
1. Stay at the Bar Harbor Regency, which hosted the Obama family and offers reasonable average nightly rates ranging from $152 – $245.
2. Visit the top of Cadillac Mountain, the tallest peak on the east coast, which boasts spectacular views of Acadia National Park.
3. Indulge in one of the many delicious ice cream flavors, like coconut (the President’s pick), at Mount Desert Island Ice Cream in downtown Bar Harbor.
4. Snap family photos in front of the Bass Harbor Head Lighthouse, one of the most photographed lighthouses in Maine.
5. End a fun-filled day with a romantic date night at Havana, where the First Couple reportedly enjoyed American cuisine with Latin influences.