Vacation rentals offer travelers – and their pets – the creature comforts of home during a vacation. Boasting more space for four-legged friends to stretch their legs, TripAdvisor’s Vacation Rentals team is sharing five of their top tips for staying at a vacation rental with your pet.
1) Clean Up After Your Pet – Just like you would in your own house, be sure to clean up after your pet while staying in a vacation rental. This means picking up after your pooch when they’re out in the yard and cleaning up any accidents that occur while indoors. Also be sure to clean the litter box if needed over the course of your trip.
2) Bring Along Some “Creature Comforts” – It’s always a good idea to bring along some pet toys from home, as well as food and water bowls. This way, your pet will be less tempted to claw or chew on anything valuable at the home, and you won’t have to feed your pets using the home’s fine china. You can also ask the owner or property manager if any pet toys or bowls are included with the rental, as there may be frisbees or chew toys available.
3) Know The Boundaries – Some rooms in a vacation rental, like bedrooms or dining rooms, may be off limits to pets. Be sure to check with the owner or property manager to see if there are any rooms they’d rather your pet doesn’t go into during your stay.
4) Be Aware of Fees or Limits - While many properties advertise themselves as being “pet-friendly,” it’s a good idea to speak with the home owner or property manager about any fees or limitations involved with bringing a pet along. Some properties may charge an extra cleaning fee when pets are included in a stay, and some only allow pets during certain seasons. It’s always better to know before you go.
5) Bring a Photo, Just in Case – Traveling to a whole new place can be very exciting for your pets, and sometimes they like to explore beyond your rental home’s yard. If your pet does happen to run away during your vacation, having a photo of them handy can be helpful in tracking them down in the new neighborhood.