A photo can speak a thousand words in conjuring up great vacation memories – but have you ever been disappointed by the results? A whopping 93 percent of travelers always or often take photos on their leisure trips, according to a TripAdvisor survey of over 1,100 U.S. members, carried out in conjunction with Shutterfly – while in the past 12 months, 69 percent of travelers have committed a photo “faux-pas.”
The most common photography mishaps? Running out of battery power, followed by forgetting to use the flash, and placing a finger or thumb in front of the lens. All of which are easily done when one’s senses are overwhelmed by jetlag, paradise beaches, or perhaps even a glass or two of sangria.
For phenomenal travel photos, follow these expert tips, supplied by Lara Hoyem, Senior Director of Photo Books at Shutterfly:
• For great beach photos, it’s hard to go wrong if you try for sunrise or sunset pictures. The “golden hours,” before and after sunrise and sunset, are the best for beach photography. However, if you need to take photos at other times, use a fill flash on your subjects to fill in the shadows that the sun alone would give you.
• For a cool effect at the beach, shoot into the sun. It will make silhouettes of people, while bringing the main focus of the picture to the blue waters and white sand.
• When attempting to capture a moment with your family or friends along with beautiful scenery in the background, hold your camera lower to the ground, ideally chest to waist height. This allows for an all-encompassing photo that will do justice to both the people and the landscape shown in the picture.
• For jaw-dropping frameable photography, change to panoramic mode. Most of the latest point-and-shoot digital cameras now have a panoramic setting which can allow for some amazing prints for wall art.
• If you forget to charge your camera battery before a big day out, extend your battery life by turning off the flash and lowering the brightness of your LCD screen. And, wait to preview your photos until you load them on your computer!