While the 2010 political season is heating up, the president and the public appear to agree on one top issue: late summer vacation destinations. This week, TripAdvisor announced that Cape Cod was selected as the top Labor Day vacation destination in the U.S. in a survey of more than 5,000 members. This news comes as the first family spends their late summer vacation on Martha’s Vineyard.
The Obamas are currently on the last leg of their trip, which has included time on the beach, visits to local shops, and swings on the golf course. According to reports, the first family is staying at the Blue Heron Farm, a large vacation rental compound that includes its own beach, basketball court, and swimming pool.
While that particular rental home is currently taken, we thought it would be interesting to take a look at some other stately properties out on Martha’s Vineyard, in case you want to vacation like the president in the waning days of summer. These homes are sure to make you and yours feel like the first family during your stay:
1. Brand New South Summer Street Luxury Home – For travelers looking for a bit of luxury on their trip to the Vineyard, this vacation rental has it all. Sleeping 10 guests in its five bedrooms, including four in the main house and one in its carriage house, this property boasts a giant two story “great room” complete with a balcony and banquette area, a custom gourmet kitchen, game room, library, and Jacuzzi. The home is also a short walk to the harbor, as well as nearby shops and restaurants.
2. Spectacular 5BR with patio, pool, Jacuzzi – Perfect for large groups, this beautiful vacation rental home has five bedrooms, including an attached guest wing. Among the property’s perks are a screened-in sunroom, pool, Jacuzzi, fire pit, and expansive private grounds and gardens. There’s also plenty of room in the yard to start up a family football or whiffle ball game.
3. AGARH – Featuring gorgeous grounds and a view of the water, this rental home includes both a main house and a carriage house. Its six bedrooms and six bathrooms ensure that every guest has their own space, but its pool and patio area, modern kitchen, elegant dining room, and comfy living room mean there’s plenty of room to spend time together as well. In addition, this property is just a short walk to Edgartown’s historic village area, which is dotted with stately whaling homes and gourmet restaurants.
4. Wonderful 4BR with deck, one block from harbor – Elegantly decorated and equipped with four bedrooms and three bathrooms, this home offers plenty of space and a location just minutes from the water. With two living rooms and a spacious yard there is more than enough room for guests to spread out. It’s also located close to Edgartown Center and its shops, galleries, and restaurants.
5. Colonial 4BR cape 4 blocks from Edgartown harbor – Beloved by travelers on TripAdvisor and FlipKey, this rental home boasts both a main house and a guest cottage, making it ideal for groups and large families. The main house features three bedrooms, a game room, screened in porch, modern kitchen, and plenty of entertainment, including a TV, DVD player, stereo, and a stock of board games. The guest cottage also offers a nice place to escape, with a bedroom, bathroom, and private reading area.
To check out more great rental homes on Martha’s Vineyard and beyond, you can visit TripAdvisor Vacation Rentals at www.tripadvisor.com/vacationrentals.
Did you stay at a rental home for a trip this summer? Let us know how it went in the comments section!