Believe it or not, summer is almost here, and many travelers are already getting ready to hit the road and take to the skies. In fact, according to TripAdvisor’s annual summer travel survey, 86% of travelers are planning leisure trips this summer. That’s up from 83% who said they traveled last summer! Whether you’ve already booked a summer trip or you’re still in summer-planning mode, we think you’ll enjoy the findings from this year’s survey.
Some key findings include:
- 39% said the rising cost of fuel is affecting their summer travel plans
- 76% expect gas prices to hit at least $4.50 per gallon for regular fuel
- 24% of travelers said that, due to rising gas prices, the maximum distance they are willing to drive for a leisure trip this summer is 200 miles
- 26% said they will spend more on leisure travel this summer than last, while 42% expect to spend the same amount
- 63% of summer travelers said they will drive and 62% expect to fly
- 66% said they will check into hotels this summer, 28% will stay with family or friends, and 18% will stay at vacation rental homes.
- 33% plan to travel this Memorial Day weekend
- 50% of those traveling said they will take a city leisure trip, 40% will stay at an ocean location, 18% will visit a national park, and 16% will travel to a lake
Are you planning on traveling this summer? Tell us in the comments section below! Still wondering where to go? Check out our list of winning U.S. Travelers’ Choice Destinations, including traveler favorites like San Francisco and New Orleans.